Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Visiting the White House and the Eisenhower Executive Office Building

Emily's office is near the White House. Do you know who lives in the White House?

Here's a hint:
Photo courtesy of the White House
It's the Obama family! Barack Obama is the President of the United States. His wife is Michelle Obama and his daughters are Malia and Sasha Obama. The Obama family also has two dogs: Bo and Sunny.

Bo, left and Sunny, the Obama family dogs, on the South Lawn of the White House, Aug. 19, 2013.
Photo courtesy of the White House
I got to Washington, DC a day too late to go to the White House Science Fair, but I did see some really cool videos of science projects that kids and adults are working on. One of my favorites is a robot page turner invented by a team of first graders from Oklahoma.

Embedded image permalink
Photo courtesy of @WhiteHouse on Twitter
My other favorite science project was 3D printed legs for Derby the dog. Here is video from the White House showing Derby.


Even though I didn't get to go inside the White House during my trip, I did have a good view of it from the roof of Emily's office building. I also got to visit the building next door to the White House - the Eisenhower Executive Office Building (also known as the EEOB). Because there isn't a lot of space in the White House for offices, many people who work for the President and Vice-President actually work in EEOB,


Emily's co-worker showed me his favorite spot in the EEOB - a model of the gunboat USS Nashville. The USS Nashville served in both the Spanish-American War and World War I.


I finished up my day back at Emily's office, where I learned about what she does at work. Emily helps students, teachers, and members of the general public learn about science. Here is a picture of me with some of the reports and teaching tools that Emily and her co-workers have worked on.


The reports are the National Climate Assessment (additional teaching tools), the Climate Literacy guide, and the Energy Literacy guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment